Seffner is a census-designated place in Hillsborough County, Florida. Approximately 13 miles east of downtown Tampa, Seffner serves as a suburban haven for commuters.
While still characterized by towering live oak trees, strawberry farms and lakes, this small town has been growing rapidly. Housing subdivisions now dot the once rural landscape.
According to the Seffner Chamber of Commerce, the exact date of Seffner's founding is unknown. Some historians claim that Seffner's streets were originally laid out in 1862, but not recorded as a plat formally until 1885. Seffner's post office was opened in 1884, once a new railroad line in the area had been planned.
The community was named for its first postmaster, F.P. Seffner. That same year, Seffner's first school and store were opened. The main thoroughfare leading north and south was Lenna Avenue, and leading east and west was Highway Number 23, renamed Buffalo Avenue, because of its erstwhile use as a buffalo trail, and then renamed again in 1989 to its current name, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard (Hwy 574). Seffner (and neighboring Mango and Dover) served as the three primary towns along the South Florida Railroad right-of-way between Tampa and Plant City. These towns owe their existence and prosperity to the railroad, each becoming an important shipping center.
The First Baptist Church of Seffner was founded in 1888.
As Tampa and neighboring Brandon expand eastward, Seffner is expected to benefit from a boom in commerce and further residential development.